Thursday, June 21, 2012

Crafter vs. Artist

The ultimate question with really no definitive answer...are you a Crafter or an Artist?  In its general sense, they can be described as follows:  A Crafter refers to an individual creating items with a functional purpose, often with a specific set of instructions.  An Artist focuses on the aesthetic value rather than functional, the medium used, an advanced skill, and is exclusive to the creator.  But ultimately, it's in the eye of the beholder, right? 


I believe most crafters will also think they're artists, but does it work the other way? I don't think so.  While we all take pride in our skill and ability to create or even make one-of-a-kind items, I think it's important to know the difference. 


So, Artist vs Crafter is NOT in the eye of the beholder, but finding beauty in it is.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that crafters can be artist also. I've done some beautiful oil paintings but with instruction so I really don't consider myself an artist. Thanks for clarifying for me.
    http://ruthannsgiftbaskets.com

    ReplyDelete